Few things in sport are better than what we have on tap tonight. Game 7 of a Stanley Cup Playoff series, arguably the most intense single game environment in professional sports. We get a double-shot tonight, with the Bruins and Maple Leafs playing their third Game 7 of this decade, while the Vegas Golden Knights play their first ever Game 7 against San Jose at 10:00 pm.
This is what hockey is all about, my friends. So tonight I invite you to sit back, relax, and watch what is sure to be a terrific show. There simply is nothing better than this. Here’s today’s edition of puck wire to help get you through the day.
- Two-time Stanley Cup Champion Kris Versteeg last played in the NHL in 2017-18 with the Calgary Flames, spending this past season in the KHL. He’s North America-bound for 2019-20, but his return won’t come in the NHL. No, Versteeg has instead signed a one-year AHL contract with the Rockford IceHogs.
- Tonight won’t be the only night with Game 7 action. The Carolina Hurricanes struck back last night and defeated the Washington Capitals to force a seventh and deciding game on Wednesday night. Canes Country has your recap of Game 6.
- The Winnipeg Jets were eliminated from the playoff on Saturday, and yesterday they held their season ending media availability sessions. Among the things we found out? Star forward Patrik Laine didn’t just play hurt through the playoffs, no, he played through the entire season with a back injury.
- For the first time since 2016, the Dallas Stars are going to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Nashville Predators, meanwhile, will be going home at Dallas’ expense. John Klingberg scored the overtime winner in Game 6 to push Dallas over the line last night.
- A big reason why the Stars are heading to the second round? Alexander Radulov has been one of the best forwards in the entire NHL this postseason.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins began what should be a busy summer of transaction with the signing of Finnish forward Oula Palve to a one-year contract late on Monday afternoon.