So long, January. Only a few games are on deck tonight, but most of the NHL returns from the All-Star break/bye week tomorrow night. As we enter February, the playoff picture is starting to get clearer as teams like the LA Kings start to sell off pieces. I suspect we see a lot of trade activity in the next few weeks in the lead up to the trade deadline.
With that being said, let’s kill a little company time on this frozen Thursday with today’s edition of Puck Wire!
- Speaking of the trade deadline, what is your favorite team’s best trade chip? Sportsnet’s Luke Fox takes a look at the best trade chips for each team around the NHL.
- Whatta week for Kendall Coyne, who joined NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Hockey as a guest analyst last night in Pittsburgh. To the surprise of no one, she did an excellent job!
- The NHL’s Canadian teams are facing some pretty big questions as we enter the unofficial second half of the season. Can the Flames, Jets and Maple Leafs push for the Stanley Cup? Will the Oilers, Canadiens and Canucks get into the playoffs? Will the Senators move Matt Duchene and Mark Stone? CBC asks the questions.
- Nashville’s Austin Watson has been placed in Stage Two of the NHL’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program. More from the league.
- Yesterday was an important day, as the hashtag #BellLetsTalk took the spotlight on Twitter. Ex-NHL goaltender Corey Hirsch has become a mental health advocate in recent years and continues for us to do more for the issue. More from The Sporting News.
- Cool moment as Nick Foligno gives his stick to kids pregame in Columbus. Why is this moment special? Well, let’s just say Nick was following in the footsteps of his dad.
- When Bob Nicholson hires the next GM of the Edmonton Oilers, that person needs the authority to blowup a rotten front office, firing members of the ‘Old Boys Club’.